Counterfeit cashier’s checks using the routing number of the National Bank of Blacksburg, Blacksburg, Va. – 051403122 – are being presented for payment nationwide in connection with a variety of online auction and job opportunity scams, the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) said in an alert.
OCC, in an alert issued Monday, said the counterfeit checks resemble the bank’s authentic items but may may be identified by the following traits:
- The checks are light blue with a marbled background and contain a darker blue top border.
- The top border contains the following security statement: “TO VERIFY AUTHENTICITY, SEE REVERSE SIDE FOR DESCRIPTION OF THE 10 SECURITY FEATURES.”
- The check number appears faded in the upper right-hand corner.
- A heat sensitive hologram security feature appears in the bottom center portion of the check encircled by the statement “HEAT SENSITIVE SHIELD. FADES WITH HEAT OR TOUCH.”
- The remitter name may be “Nancy Wilson” or “Christel Johnson.”
Checks presented to date have been made payable in varying amounts between $1,250 and $7,350 and have been signed by Evelyn Sutherland, the agency said.