The Bureau of Consumer Financial Protection (BCFP) on Friday announced new memberships for three councils to advise the bureau director on consumer, community bank and credit union views regarding the agency’s supervisory and rulemaking activities.
“Today, I am appointing experts to the Bureau’s advisory committees who will bring a fresh perspective to our important work,” said BCFP Acting Director John (“Mick”) Mulvaney. “These experts are highly talented individuals in consumer finance markets, and we look forward to working closely with them throughout their service.”
The councils – the Consumer Advisory Board (CAB), Community Bank Advisory Council (CBAC), and Credit Union Advisory Council (CUAC) – are all provided for under the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act (Dodd-Frank), though only the consumer panel is mandatory.
While revised, recently posted charters for the panels only anticipate six members each, the lists released by the BCFP include nine CAB members, seven CBAC members and seven CUAC members.
All advisory board and council members have been appointed to serve one-year terms. Below are the new members for each:
Consumer Advisory Board
- Liz Coyle, Executive Director, Georgia Watch
- Sameh Elamawy, Chief Executive Officer, Scratch Services, Inc.
- Manning Field, Chief Operating Officer, Acorns
- Jason B. Gross, Chief Executive Officer, Petal
- Clinton B. Gwin, President and CEO, Pathway Lending
- Ronald A. Johnson, President, Clark Atlanta University
- Brent Neiser, Senior Director of Strategic Programs and Alliances, National Endowment for Financial Education
- Sophie Raseman, Director of Product, Brightside
- Luz Urrutia, Chief Executive Officer, Opportunity Fund
Community Bank Advisory Council
- John Erik Beguin, Founder, CEO, and President, Austin Capital Bank
- Bryan Bruns, President & CEO, Lake Central Bank
- Maureen Busch, Vice President, Compliance and CRA Officer, The Bank of Tampa
- Michael H. Head, President/CEO/Director, First Federal Savings Bank
- Aubery L. Hulings, Vice President, Operations Manager, The Farmers National Bank of Emlenton
- Heidi Sexton, EVP/Chief Operating Officer, Sound Community Bank
- Jeanni Stahl, SVP/Chief Risk and Compliance Officer, MetaBank
Credit Union Advisory Council
- Arlene Babwah, Vice President Risk Management, Coastal Federal Credit Union
- Sean Cahill, President & CEO, Southwest 66 Credit Union
- Teresa Campbell, President & CEO, San Diego County Credit Union
- Christopher Court, Vice President, Accounting & Operations, Service 1st Federal Credit Union
- James Hunsanger, Chief Risk Officer, Michigan State University Federal Credit Union
- Bryan Price, President & CEO, Indiana University Credit Union
- Eric Schmidt, President & CEO, WestStar Credit Union
This March, the bureau issued a notice in the Federal Register outlining the responsibilities of the advisory groups and duties of its members, and soliciting applications for appointment. In June, however, it said it was revising how it conducts outreach, including “right-sizing” and reconstituting the panels and “ramping up outreach to external groups.”
Friday’s announcement says the newly appointed members include experts in consumer protection, financial services, fintech, community development, fair lending, civil rights, and consumer financial products and services as well as representatives of community banks and credit unions. “Advisory committee membership reflects the expertise across the range of issues under the Bureau’s jurisdiction,” it states.
New charters for each group, signed by Mulvaney in June, were posted on the bureau’s website in recent weeks.
Bureau of Consumer Financial Protection Announces New Advisory Committee Members